The Abbeydale Picture House

The Abbeydale Picture House is a landmark on the southern approach into the City of Sheffield. For over 80 years this magnificent 1920’s ‘Picture Palace’ entertained generations of cinema and theatre audiences, with silent movies, cine-variety shows and wide-screen spectaculars and more recently many nights of dancing and enjoyment for the population of Sheffield and South Yorkshire. Nationally the Abbeydale Picture House is one of the few cinemas of its age still standing today.

Friends of Abbeydale Picture House are a charitable organisation raising money to restore and re-instate the picture house to it former glory, as a multifunction venue for the whole community. With your patronage the dream can become a reality.

Abbeydale Picture House (later Abbeydale Cinema) was opened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield on 20 December 1920 the picture house was the largest and most luxurious cinema in Sheffield. The first film shown was The Call of the Road (IMDB entry). The cinema had seating for 1,560 people and also included a ballroom and a billiard hall (the latter is still in operation). The cinema closed on 5 July 1975 and was used as an office furniture showroom until 1991. In 1989 the building was given a Grade II listing by English Heritage. In 2003 the Friends of Abbeydale Picture House—boasting patrons including Michael Palin, Peter Stringfellow and the John Lewis Partnership—was formed to “restore and manage the ‘Picture Palace’ as a community centre for the performing arts and visual media.” They officially became the owners of the building on 21 December 2005. is a landmark on the southern approach into the City of Sheffield. For over 80 years this magnificent 1920’s ‘Picture Palace’ entertained generations of cinema and theatre audiences, with silent movies, cine-variety shows and wide-screen spectaculars and more recently many nights of dancing and enjoyment for the population of Sheffield and South Yorkshire. Nationally the Abbeydale Picture House is one of the few cinemas of its age still standing today.

Friends of Abbeydale Picture House are a charitable organisation raising money to restore and re-instate the picture house to it former glory, as a multifunction venue for the whole community. With your patronage the dream can become a reality.

Abbeydale Picture House (later Abbeydale Cinema) was opened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield on 20 December 1920 the picture house was the largest and most luxurious cinema in Sheffield. The first film shown was The Call of the Road (IMDB entry). The cinema had seating for 1,560 people and also included a ballroom and a billiard hall (the latter is still in operation). The cinema closed on 5 July 1975 and was used as an office furniture showroom until 1991. In 1989 the building was given a Grade II listing by English Heritage. In 2003 the Friends of Abbeydale Picture House—boasting patrons including Michael Palin, Peter Stringfellow and the John Lewis Partnership—was formed to “restore and manage the ‘Picture Palace’ as a community centre for the performing arts and visual media.” They officially became the owners of the building on 21 December 2005.